[Coco] CoCo Progression...

Steve Batson steve at bat-soft.com
Sat Sep 25 00:32:07 EDT 2004

Mark, All,

Understand, I'm not trying to stir things up, just trying to understand some
things.

On the one hand, I hear that people don't want emulators because it's not
"Real Metal" or the real thing or "It's not Vintage Computing"...on the
other hand, I hear about people wanting to add USB and all this stuff that
is not vintage computing technology. I stated in my first post that I
understand people want to do that for the fun or challenge, so there is no
need to go into that...I understand that just as any other hobby or area of
interest someone may have. I wouldn't think of discouraging that or making
fun of it.

Over the years people have repackaged thier CoCo's into PC Cases, installed
enhanced keyboards, etc. I don't see how that can feel any more like the
vintage coco than an emulator on a PC using the same keyboard.

I'd be just as intersted in seeing a new or extended hardware coco design as
I would a good emulator (trademark, patent and copyright issues aside) but I
tend to doubt that is ever going to happen. Once the CoCo hardware supply
has dried up, then what? A motherboard can only handle so many trace cuts
and soldering.

Technically, there is no reason a CoCo Emulator could not be designed to be
100% compatible with the coco as powerful as today's computers are. And that
is what I was really trying to get at. Once that is achieved, it would be so
much easier to get parts for and add support for newer hardware. And, while
I don't know why, if someone needed the feel of the chicklet keyboard (one
of the first hacks I did to my coco was putting a real keyboard in it) or on
old joystick, that would be much easier to interface then some of the other
projects being worked on.

This is all just some food for thought...again, I wouldn't want to talk you
out of your hacking any more then I would your coin collecting or other
interests.

Steve