[Coco] Thought

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at optushome.com.au
Fri Sep 24 11:46:47 EDT 2004

Eric J. Rothfus wrote:

> It really depends upon the size of the USB transfer.

USB transfers are 64-byte packets.

> Especially those that have been engineered to
> depend upon timing or other behaviors of the floppy (copy protected
> diskettes).

Granted. But if you assume that the seek time(1) of a floppy drive is always
going to be enough to cover the latency of starting a USB transfer, you
should be able to buffer enough data at the device end to ensure you don't
get a buffer under-run during a sector read.

(1) I would imagine the timing would have to be fairly tolerant for seeks
given the variable step times for different drives???

Regards,