[Coco] Wireless CoCo?

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Thu Sep 23 00:31:53 EDT 2004

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 16:10, Allen Huffman wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know of a bluetooth serial adapter?  Something I could plug
>>into the CoCo, then it would talk wirelessly to my Mac?  Or some other
>>form or wireless-to-serial device?
>>
>>I'd like to start xferring files to/from my CoCo without running cables
>>across my house (and buying USB serial interfaces for the Mac).
>>
>>Thoughts?
>>
>>		Allen
>>

> Since your Coco stays in one place, you could also consider making your
> own serial<->wireless bridge.
>
> You could set up old puter with Linux (that has a working serial port),
> and add an 802.11 card in it.
>
> There are various serial port redirectors Free Software that you can
> find on Freshmeat.net that connect a virtual serial port to a TCP
> connection.
>
> I imagine even if you bought a second hand old pc (I buy working PCs
> from Goodwill for $50) this would be < $100 in parts, assuming you don't
> get gouged on the two wireless cards you would need.
>
> With CSLIP running this would throw your Coco right in the middle of the
> Information Superhighway.
>
> -- John.

John~

	As I was trying to use my Linux box (mandrake 9.2) to bridge between my
Wireless network and my Ethernet.  I came across a problem,  It would
not bridge,  I looked into this deeper, since it should work.  It is a
known problem with some Wireless chipsets....I just happen to have one
of those.   Also I was using a USB to 802.11b for the wireless side and
I found out it was even more common bridging problems with USB controllers.

David Hazelton