[Coco] OS9 Newbie Question

Eric J. Rothfus eric at rothfus.com
Mon Sep 20 08:00:11 EDT 2004

Thanks for the info Robert.  It was your last sentence that did it:

> It is very important that the
> version of OS-9 be at least Level 1.01.00 or Level 2 for it to work on a
> Coco3.

I was using an early Level (apparently).  When I switched to a level 2
it booted just fine.

In answer to your other questions:

> > I have diskette images for much of OS9, and I'd like to get
> > it up and running on my CoCo III 128k.
>
> By this you mean you downloaded some .dsk files from the Internet?

I bought the "CoCo Collection CD" from www.coco3.com.  I has a ton
of dsk images that work just great.  It has numerous OS9 images, too,
and I'm running one of them now.  The images I was using before (level
1 OS9) I downloaded from different sites on the Internet.

> ...If you want to use the image with a real Coco, it is very
> important to convert the image to a real disk correctly. This
> conversion process seems to be quite dependant on the source of the
> .dsk image. So, where did you get the image and exactly how have you
> tried to convert it to a real disk?

This part I have covered.  I use the SVD hardware device that I've
been working on.  The SVD and its software convert JVC or other
formats to something that can be downloaded to a piece of hardware
and read directly by the CoCo which thinks it's booting from a
floppy.

Thanks for the help!
Eric