[Coco] running RSDOS games from hard drive?

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 12:56:27 EDT 2004

--- Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Frederick D Provoncha wrote:
> ><snip>
> > I can vouch for Robert on this. I've noticed several games that will not
> > run from a hard drive but will run fine from a floppy drive:
> >
> > Games that will not run from a hard drive:
> > PacDude 2
> > Cosmic Ambush
> > Zenix
> > Pegasus and the Phantom Riders (it's hard-coded for floppy)
> > Cubix
> > Draconian
> > Tutankaman
> >
>  ><snip>
>
> So far I have found both PacDude2 and Draconian and both run under MESS
> / RGBDOS. They should therefore run even better on a real Coco hard
> drive system.

I'll throw in that my copy of Tutankam (same game?) by Dave Edson, from LCB's
website, does work. I think all of Dave Edson's games worked, not only from HD,
but launching them from within FOG.

Sometimes after launching I get a spurious error message, lika a UL error in
some nonexistent line... I've found that many times if I type EXEC (like the
screen says to try) the program still works.

> It looks to me that there are problems with the hard drive systems of
> those trying to run some of these games. It may just be the commands
> sent when invoking the games and not a system problem perse.

I am actually going through and making a campatibility list (maybe someday even
a database of it). I'm noting whether the game is CoCo3 specific, whether it
runs in HDB-DOS*, from HD, and if it can launch from FOG.

*So far I don't think I've found anything that works in RSDOS that doesn't work
in HDB (but I've barely started). Anything that's not working at all I
generally chalk up to being a bad copy/image (possibly copy-prot).

Bob