[Coco] Stand-alone DriveWire devices.

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Fri Sep 17 11:58:42 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 08:47, alsplace at pobox.com wrote:
> It dawns on me that there must be some really cheap PIC-type
> programmable device with memory storage and some programmable CPU.
> Some of these gadgets are very cheap.  If there was such a device, it
> might be interesting to make a standalone "DriveWire" hardware unit
> that could just plug into a CoCo's serial port.  Anyone out there
> familiar with the state of the art for BASIC STAMP or PIC type chips?
> It would just need to have a fast serial port and some form of backed
> up memory (flash, battery backed RAM?).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Also, is there an unofficial HDB-DOS that speaks DriveWire instead of
> SCSI/IDE?
>
>      -- Allen

For a uC based solution I'd suggest probably a PIC or AVR and some
industrial flash chips soldered on the board or a consumer grade flash
slot, like MMC/SD/CF.

Since we're not addressing the flash directly, consumer grade flash is
probably the way to go.

A simple cheap serial flash reader/writer would be useful to a lot of
vintage hardware users as permanent storage.

-- John.