[coco] For Boisy or Mark ref Super Driver

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Thu Sep 16 17:57:49 EDT 2004

> And the SuperDriver model is very neat -- much like OS-9/non-6809
> systems.  There is RBF, the file manager that understands things like
> directories and such, then there is the RBsuper "driver" that is the
> common stuff that RBF type drivers do -- not sure what all that is on
> the 6809 -- leaving a low level hardware driver (llXXX) to handle the
> actual "get a sector, store a sector" part.
>
> The upshot:  Less duplicated code.

Yes indeed.  For those who want to run multiple controllers on one
system (SuperIDE and TC^3 for example), SuperDriver eliminates some
code duplication in system RAM.

> Thanks to something Boisy fixed me up with, I *FINALLY* can have my
> IDE interface driver AND SCSISYS loaded and working together without
> conflicts/lock ups.

I presume you mean Ken-Ton and not "SCSISYS" ?  So things are working
now?

> I wonder:  Could the disk driver benefit from using the same RBxxx?
> Should there also be an ll1773 or whatever?  What about the RAM disk?

Sure, an ll1773 could be written, and probably would save some size
over the current rb1773 driver.  A RAM disk driver could be done as
well.  In fact, as a demonstration of the architecture's extensibility,
I wrote an lldw driver (low level DriveWire driver) and it works great.

Whether or not there are advantages to doing them under rbsuper as
opposed to stand alone RBF drivers, well that's debatable.  For
certain, any device that requires 512 byte sectors or greater is an
excellent candidate for SuperDriver.  And that's certainly where SCSI
and IDE fit in.

Boisy