[Coco] RGB/HDB-DOS question

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 11:23:31 EDT 2004

--- "Boisy G. Pitre" <boisy at boisypitre.com> wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2004, at 11:24 AM, Robert Emery wrote:
> >
> > There are programs for RSDOS that patch basic for 40 or 80 track
> > access. Is it safe to do this under HDB-DOS? or is it likely to
> > corrupt the hard drive?
>
> I can't say for sure, since I don't know how these programs patch
> RS-DOS.  You can try it and see.

uh... maybe later... (puts the loaded gun down)

> > What if the 40 track patch was used before formatting the drives?
> > Assuming it worked, that would change the OS-9 offset, right?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here.  Do you mean the OS-9 offset that is
> stored at  $D938-$D93A of HDB-DOS?  Or some other "OS-9 offset?"

I mean the number WIZARD.BAS calculates and tells us to write down because
we'll need it when we make a drive descriptor for OS-9. If the drives are 40
tracks instead of 35 (on a 256 drive setup), the HDB partition will be about
23,000 sectors larger than what WIZARD.BAS expects, right?

> > I have just finished formatting my first CoCo HD under HDB-DOS. Yay.
> > I have the latest release of NitrOS-9 booting, now where can get IDE
> > driver/descriptor for
> > NOS-9? (if possible, already assembled, I'm aware of the CVS source)
>
> I recommend the SuperDriver Package at www.cloud9tech.com.

Money's tight... I am still unemployed. I'd rather assemble them myself and
save the money for a hardware upgrade, like a SuperIDE or Pro-tector.

> Do you have a Glenside IDE interface?

I have a Glenside compatible... Paul Barton's Pocket IDE, which will eventually
become part of the CoCo3 Portable. Right now it's hooked up to my repack, since
that's the one with 512K.

cheers,
Bob