[Coco] Re: Coco on a SVGA monitor using the Xrgb-2 Plus

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 15:00:10 EDT 2004

--- "Theodore (Alex) Evans" <alxevans at concentric.net> wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2004, at 8:48 AM, Robert Emery wrote:
>
> > I know scandoublers have been sold for Amiga users, something special
> > about
> > theirs that I don't remember. But they were also expensive, $100+.
>
> For the Amiga there are basically three different kinds.  Those which
> plug into the Zorro and video slots, those which attach directly to
> some of the custom chips, and external ones which plug into the DB23F
> on the back of every Amiga model.  Obviously the internal types are
> unusable.  I have yet to hear anything indicating whether the external
> ones are suable with other 15.75 kHz RGB video sources or not.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't... I've heard of amiga monitors
being used with the CoCo3, just mave to modify the sync I believe.

> I have an external one on an A1200, but have no source for
> DB23 connectors and do not wish to hack it up.

The box you have has a DB23 for RGB input...
Is it male (pins) or female (sockets)?
Would you try it if you had a custom cable?

> Since there are many models of Amiga monitors, there is no simple
> answer to whether the cable is built in or not, but I have never seen a
> non-SVGA Amiga monitor with a built-in cable.  The connector on the
> monitor side varies with model; on some it is a DB9F and on some a DIN.

I guess the more important end is where the monitor would
normally plug in to the computer. I feel that custom cabling
minimizing the end-user's need to hack/solder could make this
a really hot item.

Bob