[Coco] Re: Coco on a SVGA monitor using the Xrgb-2 Plus

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 20:36:55 EDT 2004

> Another strategy is to widen your customer base. Could any other vintage
> platforms benefit from Analog RGB->SVGA/XGA. Then you could commit an
> order for a larger run and maybe be able to afford having the board
> stuffed.

BINGO! I've already offered a few ideas on the topic, and I'll do it again...

As-is, it would be good for us (CC3), the retro-arcade game test-bench folks...
maybe even replace rare video game monitors in-use in older systems.

Composite video->VGA converters go for about $60 today.
What we need is even simpler than that... but...

As long as boards are being produced, best to include capacity for an NTSC
decoder, maybe offer a PAL version if there is a pin-compatible decoder chip.
This alone adds any video game system that works on a TV, not to mention Cable,
VCR's, DVD's, etc... that's one w-i-d-e market added for a fairly small price
differential. (chip itself could still be $optional$)

VGA passthrough could be an option, so it can still be connected to a PC and
switched back and forth.

If possible, it should be able to combine/split/invert syncs to make it easy to
adapt to almost anything that outputs video. This adds to production cost, so
*instead* you offer custom cable "modules" that take care of sync,etc.. and
provides a socket or cable designed to connect to their system. These are, of
course, sold separately.

Price the main system fairly cheap and make the most profit from custom adapter
modules. Target audience? anyone with a VGA monitor and something to display on
it. It would be huge... not physicaly of course...

later,
Bob