[Coco] ceramics ...

Mark Marlette mmarlett at isd.net
Sat Sep 4 08:44:33 EDT 2004

At 9/3/2004 10:29 PM -0400, you wrote:

james,

A major test manufacture did this as their interface in to the digital test
engine. 100MHZ resolution, min, max, and no mans land(three state)
detection on the digital signal. I was a Test Engineer on this system. I
knew this system inside and out. So well in fact the company hired me and
ran the Midwest Regional Office for six years.

Again, design for it and it will work. We did it, not once, but on over 50
test interfaces over several years.

I never said ringing was due to the clock. Please go back and re-read my
statement. I would also say that ringing was not from my wire wrap board
either. It was from the impedance mismatches of the transmission line that
was the wire wrap. We learned to twist the wire wrap at 8-10 twists per
inch to match the line. Termination was also required. In the end, a board
could run 24/7 on this tester, thinking it was in the system and we could
check prop delays, ringing, low level driver outputs, etc..... It worked
and well. These were digital data transmission systems that are employed
today in the Navy's ships and SSN class submarines.

Text book to real life experience. You must use them both.

Mark