[Coco] ceramics ...

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Sep 3 22:22:40 EDT 2004

Mark

Speed ratings on digital ICs are made based on operating voltage and package
style. All of this is taken into consideration with the package's ability to keep the die
inside cool enough to operate within design parameters. If you cryo cool a 6809 you
can problably run it up to about 9 to 10 MHz before the NMOS process of that
period breaks down due mainly to the nmos transisitor geometries and interanal
capacitances limit the propogation delay through the processor.

The temperature of the silicon chip inside the package is the limiting parameter to
speed. CMOS ICs draw their current when switching. Therefore the faster they
switch the greater the RMS current is. The greater the RMS current is the hotter the
silicon gets.

It is heat that causes early failure to the silicon and reliability problems. Heat is
directly proportional to clock speed and inversely proportional to the ability of the
package to remove the heat from the silicon chip. As I have stated before, keep the
silicon cool and it will operate for about 20 yrs. Most ICs made will eventually fail
even operated within al parameters. This is due to the physics and the chemistry of
making ICs. There are impurities that eventually cause ICs to fail. Heat agrivates
this process.

The GIME has to operate with the 28 .636 MHz crystal to maintain the fixed diveder
ratios to generate timing. I have no need to change that or desire to.

james