[Coco] Boot flexibility in OS-9

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 29 09:57:27 EDT 2004

Several people have on their wish list a way to easily select a variety
of OS-9 boot files or a way to change the content at will. Changing the
content on boot at will has not been done to my knowledge but the
functional equivalent is fairly easy to achieve.

One approach is to increase the effect size of OS-9 system memory and
put every conceivably needed module in os9boot. I'm not sure but think
that NitrOS-9 LevelIII may have increased system memory. If not, that is
on Boisy's "things to do wish list" for NitrOS-9 in general.

A second approach, which can be done now for any OS-9 system, just
stores as many boot files as will fit on a floppy and from Disk Basic
permits selection of any of these boot files from a menu. RGBDOS or
HDB-DOS makes this even easier because you can have up to 255 (or more)
disks with just boot files which is a lot of choices.

I have written such a Disk Basic program for the Coco3 and someone else
(can't remember who) has written similar software. The technique is
simple and requires: 1) program to read an OS-9 root directory from Disk
Basic; 2) present the directory on screen for arrow or joystick file
selection; 3) determine the LSN/track# of the selected file; 4) present
the information to LINK.BAS or a similar routine; and 5) change LSN0
either on the disk in use or hard drive so that DD.BT (starting LSN of
boot file) points to the selected file.

The files don't need to be named os9boot (obviously), the names should
be descriptive of the content, but the files must not be fragmented.
That means you use os9gen or the program of your choice to create a
desired boot file, and copy it to a fresh disk with the name of your choice.