[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 11, Issue 91

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Fri Sep 24 12:00:05 EDT 2004

One of the strong points of the CoCo for experimenters is the small size (sans peripherals) and it's ruggedness. They have been used for controller boards (I know they were used by an excercise equipment company once) because they were inexpensive, rugged, and have adequate easily programmable I/O.

I'd love to buy a "new" CoCo3 even if it didn't have any expanded features provided it was on a small board, maybe half the size of an original CoCo3. With the GIME and 6809 in programmable logic chips (FPCU? okay, I forgot the accronym!), and maybe a third for all the "glue" logic, it could be done. The only enhancements I'd want should be easy enough -- add a multi I/O controller as used on PCs now. I think they have all the I/O on a chip -- floppy, IDE, keyboard, etc. In reality all that isn't needed if a USB port chip can be used instead, with say four ports (even if it's limited to just those four ports and no hub).

I don't know what it would take to get the CoCo3 ROM to view a USB drive (or memory device) as the normal disk controller though. Would probably need some kind of I/O processor to handle that. Wouldn't be a problem for something like NitrOS9 (OS-9 in general) though. 90% backwards compatibility would probably be a problem for DECB, but it should be handleable with NitrOS9. Ideally DECB compatibility, with it's easy programming, would be desireable, but I think I'd settle for OS-9 compatibility in such a package. I just like the ease of programming the old line number BASIC under DECB. It was easy to use the joystick d/a converters for input. Using USB only would eliminate that I'm afraid, which would take a lot of flexibility out. The PIA chips would need to be retained for interfacing.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent

-------------- Original message from coco-request at maltedmedia.com: --------------