[Coco] Hurricane Ivan

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Fri Sep 17 10:56:25 EDT 2004

Since I don't particularly care for off topic posts to the list, I am
reticent about doing it myself.  However, enough people have expressed
concern about Ivan's course as it relates to my location, so I thought
I would oblige a quick post.  There's really no need to reply to this
post and continue a long thread.

The bottom line is that where I am located (Opelousas, Louisiana), we
did not encounter any rain, nor did we encounter any significant wind.
Frankly, if you didn't know a hurricane was off to the east, you would
have thought it was just a nice, breezy day with a few clouds.

If you look at where Opelousas is on the map, you will see that it is
are approximately 200 miles west of New Orleans and 60 miles west of
Baton Rouge.  Ivan made landfall around Mobile Bay, very far to the
west of us.  Ivan was a big storm, and New Orleans was brushed with
some of the outer bands of wind and rain, but being even further west
of New Orleans, we really didn't get anything.

If Ivan's presence was felt here in any measurable way, it was from the
tremendous increase in traffic on I-10 westbound and I-49 northbound
(the latter which passes near Opelousas).  Since I drive from Opelousas
to Lafayette on a daily basis now, I'm in a position to be affected by
this.
--
Boisy G. Pitre
E-Mail: boisy at boisypitre.com