[Coco] OT: Ballmergram - Linux TCO

Dezorian dezorian at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 28 19:38:27 EDT 2004

On October 28, 2004 10:33 pm, Diego Barizo wrote:

> I sell second hand computers, all with Win. Most of my customers need a
> visit every month or so to get rid of the crap they get when they use IE
> and Kazaa, instead of Mozilla and WinMX as I tell them. But what the
> heck, its $30 for a 15/45 minutes job ;-)
> Keep it on Bill!! :-D

I have the same "problem"... people for whom I build computers (Win, Linux,
Unix, or "retro" systems) simply won't listen to any advice given.  The most
common reason I'm given is "Well, I don't have any personal information on my
system, so I'm not too worried".  Trying to explain about malcontents using
their system as a base from which to launch attacks against OTHER systems
falls on deaf ears as well.  The old "it'll never happen to me" attitude
prevails.

In my experience, the most common security flaw I've seen in any system,
regardless of architecture and/or operating system is the end user
themselves.

Shaun

--
This is a Dezorian tagline.  Yes, indeed, it is!