[Coco] Re: Cast your vote for a new CoCo 3 game

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Tue Oct 26 11:40:32 EDT 2004

> Message: 11
> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 00:00:53 EDT
> From: KnudsenMJ at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [Coco] Re: Re: Cast your vote for a new CoCo 3 game
>
> In a message dated 10/22/04 8:07:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> chazbeenhad at hotmail.com writes:
>
>>> Hi Fred. I dont think Castle of Tharoggad was a sequel to DoD. More like a
>>>  poorly done rip-off  :-)
>
> I agree.  My son and I were hooked on DoD.  We test-drove CoTh in the local
> Shack, and even after figuring out the joystick controls (more or less), we
> still couldn't bring ourselves to spend $35 on it.  "Poorly done" seems to be the
> way I remember it.

Heh - I am one of the "poor suckers" who actually owns this cartridge.
Compared to DofD - yeah, poorly done. I never finished it (but I never
finished DofD, either) - and kept wondering "does it get better" - of
course, it never did.

I think a "real" sequel is needed, too. Considering the almost
"cult-status" the game has on the internet, I have often considered that
a sequel could be done on a current system, keeping the "type-it-in,
turn-based/realtime"-style of UI and movement the original had, but
updated with "modern" graphics. A simple engine would be easy to build
using OpenGL (since there is no real "need for speed", nearly all the
optimized object culling code wouldn't be necessary).

Or, a CoCo 3 version could probably be easily built in BASIC, if you
limited the system to wireframe (or built an ML graphics engine called
from BASIC).

Andrew