[Coco] Re: File extensions

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Thu Oct 21 15:21:47 EDT 2004

On Oct 21, 2004, at 11:53 AM, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> How does PiNG (aka PNG) compare with JPEG?  ISTR trying it once or
> twice, but
> wasn't impressed one way or the other.  I also STR that PNG is
> patent-free,
> so Linux programs can use it -- which seems to be its main raison
> d'etre.

Well, because PiNG is lossless, it doesn't compress nearly so well as
JPEG.  As for general utility, allows for putting info tags in files,
keeps resolution information, supports low and high color depths fairly
well (including 48-bit color).  Really its niche is different from
JPEG.  More like the areas covered by TIFF and GIF combined except that
it doesn't support animation (for that they have MiNG).  In its early
days, its biggest problem was that IE didn't support it.  Now that
problem is gone.

--
Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?