[Coco] CoCo Orchestra-90

Rogelio Perea os9dude at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 20 16:30:05 EDT 2004

Andrew wrote:

> I recently received from Ebay an Orchestra-90 (thank you, Diego!) - I
> know there is a manual on the David Keil emulator disk (or somewhere - I
> have a couple of very large CD-ROMs of software and stuff from a couple
> of CoCo sources) - can I test this thing using only the manual?

The Orch-90 comes with a built in musical piece: William Tell. When you
power up the CoCo with the cart inserted (with/without a multipak), after
the initial banner, you can press E to edit the built in file, you can
browse up and down a bit to get a feel of the "language" the ORch-90 uses to
produce its tones - don't modify anything on the file or it may not play
back properly.

After you satisy your craving for looking at the musical score source code,
edit/browse mode. When you are at the command line you have to have the pak
compile the source code, use the S command (for Score). The pak will get
busy and after a couple of seconds the cursor will return. To play issue the
P command (for Play... obvious?). You can get sound (mono) throught the
TV/monitor speaker but the very best experience is running the stereo output
of the pak trhough a decent boombox or hi-fi system... need a suitable RCA
to RCA stereo patch cord of suitable length to accomplish this.

> I guess what I am wondering because it included the box (but no manual)
> - the box mentions that it "Includes software, synthesizer module,
> operation manual" - well, I likely have a copy of the manual (if it is
> on one of those disks) - but what of the software? Is it needed?

As Neil pointed out, all the software you need is built in the pak ROM. The
manual you will need to really get a grip on the scoring language the pak
uses, there are quite a few commands and directives to modify tones, set
tempo, notes, note length, etc.

> Also - does it play well using an MPI and floppy drive?

It does, just point the MPI switch to the slot that has the Orch90 pak, even
if a disk system is installed. The Orch90 software takes care of the minimal
disk routines to use... like to get a directory of what's on drive 1 issue a
D :1 command.

Note that if you CoCo disk system is set to work with a disk controller that
has all the whistles and bells (like ADOS), when the Orch-90 pak controls
the disk, all the extra features in your disk controller are gone - at least
that happens in my CoCo setup; all my Orch-90 music floppies are standard 35
track single sided disks, even when my disk system can access both sides of
the disk and push for 40 tracks.

Enjoy the Pak, and explore the web for music files.

-=[ Rogelio ]=-