[Coco] Re: Portal-9 bug report

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Tue Oct 19 08:51:47 EDT 2004

At 11:52 PM 10/18/04 EDT, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>And yes, she often gets "mystery" attachments from Mac users.  Ugh!  About
>all we can do is open them in Notepad or WordPad and delete enough of the
square
>characters to make out the text.

Assuming these are relatively standard types, you can probably identify the
creator application by opening in Notepad/Wordpad or hex editor and reading
the opening characters. You'll get used to seeing the file types after a
while, and then adding the appropriate extension. "ÐÏà" (D0 CF 11 E0) is a
.doc file, for example.

I highly recommend the HHD software hex editor
(http://www.hhdsoftware.com/), by the way -- free, small, fast, simple,
uncluttered, and it can add an entry to the Windows context menu. I used it
to save hundreds of photos when my digital camera microdrive failed and I
had to pull everything off as raw binary files.

Dennis