[Coco] Re: File extensions, was: Re: Portal-9 bug report

Torsten Dittel Torsten at Dittel.info
Tue Oct 19 02:55:35 EDT 2004

Hi Dennis,
I don't agree with having no extensions on Windoze would be a good idea.
One reason: Files can have *no* extension. I want to see a difference
between "test.txt" and "test". I sometimes remove the extension to have
a backup copie with the same name, which isn't used accidentally (you
can't open it by double clicking if there's no extension). Another
reason: There's hardly no difference between the icons of a Word ".doc"
(document) and a Word ".dot" (document type). I've created lots of
".dot" files at work for the typical "just user"-user. It's quite hard
to *explane* them difference between these two types of files and how to
use them, but it's even more difficult to *see* it if they wouldn't have
the extension.
Regards, Torsten
PS: Any news concerning the NL?