File extensions, was: Re: [Coco] Portal-9 bug report

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 20:31:57 EDT 2004

--- Dennis Bathory-Kitsz <bathory at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> At 12:17 PM 10/18/04 -0500, Roger Taylor wrote:
> >Still, this
> >plot to keep people from seeing filenames as they have always existed, is
> >the oddest thing I've seen MS do.
>
> It isn't odd. Extensions are a Windows operating system thing, not a user
> thing -- and similar to the Mac approach, which uses (used?) no filename
> extensions.

Macs have file extensions, and so do CoCo's... neither of which runs Windows,
thank goodness.

> Windows 95 borrowed a great deal of the Mac approach, and it
> succeeded in how incredibly Win95 took off in comparison to Win3.1.

That's mainly because you could install 95 without knowing DOS.

> I'm hardly in the habit of defending Microsoft, but it was a reasonable
> thing to have done (without the advantage of a crystal ball) to a lay
> user's advantage.

Until that first tech support call when you have to walk them through turning
on file extensions so you can get them to open the correct file!

cheers,
Bob