[Coco] [Color Computer] serial port config problems?

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri Oct 15 03:47:35 EDT 2004

>From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
>Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:24:04 -0400

>In my continuous quest to get my coco up and running again, can I get
>someone to post the output of an 'xmode /t2' on a properly
>configured /t2 (rs-232 pack) port set for hardware flow controls,
>9600 baud 8n1?

This is Bob's.  (apparently the Supercom author!)

nam= T2 mgr=SCF ddr=SACIA hpn=07 hpa=ff68 upc=00 bse=01 dlo=00
eko=01 alf=01 nul=00 pau=00 pag=14 bsp=08 del=18 eor=0D eof=00
rpr=00 dup=00 psc=13 int=03 qut=00 bse=08 ovf=07 par=12 bau=06
xon=11 xof=13 col=50 row=18 xtp=04 wnd=04 val= sty= cpx= cpy=
fgc= bgc= bde=

>If someone knows of a link to an updated manual page for the latest,
>expanded xmode, describing all the options and their effect in
>relation to the rs-232 pack in particular, this would be a huge plus
>and I could quit bugging the list for arcane knowledge.

I think the NOS9 xmode is the one matching SACIA.  This is part of the
eliminator driver software package, which is somewhere on RTSI
(elim.lzh).  It describes SACIA, DACIA, and the new xmode in detail.

Bruse Isted is Da MAN!!!

>I was able to type between this machine and the coco last night using
>a rather convoluted path from a USB port on this end, but I believe
>framing errors from the wrong flow control choices prevented me from
>actually moving a file with zmodem.

I don't know about NOS9, but regular old OS-9LII with SACIA couldn't do
zmodem at more than 4800 without losing characters.  IIRC this is
because zmodem has to read one character at a time, and above 4800
this just takes too long.  I don't know if this is a fundamental flaw
in the design of zmodem, or just because OS-9 zmodem is a port of UN*X
zmodem.

IIRC I could download at 9600 with xmodem or ymodem.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
   --- Yacko