[Coco] CER-COMP software

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 9 20:07:54 EDT 2004

Andrew wrote:

><snip>
> This is telling me "copy protection" - in a prior email I asked about
> these programs, where CER-COMP and Bill Vergona was, and the stance on
> whether CER-COMP software can be distributed as "abandonware" to the
> community (basically, does it have his blessing, or does he care).
> However, if the program won't even load in an emulator...
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Andrew Ayers

The only format that might permit these disks to work with emulation is
.dmk. Vergona used a special track 35 on his disks which meant backup
copies could be made of tracks 0-34 but the backups would not run. The
backups needed to recopied to the original disk with the assumption that
track 35 had not been damaged. So, the emulation disk format must be
able to specify that not all tracks are the same.

Track 35 is very unusual. It may not be possible to emulate even with
the .dmk format.