[SPAM] [Coco] philosphical ... discussions

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Wed Oct 6 22:07:12 EDT 2004

At 01:10 PM 10/6/2004, you wrote:
>3. Because of (2) programmers and hardware engineers can really push the
>machine to its limits. As a hobbyist it's always cool to see hardware

The CoCo, nor any other computer that I know of, has really been pushed to
its limits.  We can add fancy hardware gadgets to the CoCo but the
motherboard itself, CPU, and GIME have never really been maxed
out.  Ofcourse, Sock has managed to write some demos that have squeezed
every possible clock cycle out of the code in order to accomplish certain
video and audio tricks, but we will probably never see the "limits" of what
the CoCo can do, from software or hardware.

Today, we're seeing a lot of new gadgets to add on, but hardly any software
to use that hardware.  This is why I think CoCo authors should try Portal-9
to see how easy it can be to develop for the CoCo from a more modern
computer just like the hardware designers are using modern tools to develop
all these neat CoCo gadgets.  After all, hardware is nothing without software.

--
Roger Taylor