[Coco] Important Announcement: NitrOS-9 & 1986 GIME

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Tue Oct 5 12:31:36 EDT 2004

At 08:40 AM 10/5/2004, you wrote:
>Robert,
>
>Good research but...With the stated problems of the GIME and it has an
>update, why would you want to run a buggy chip?
>I doubt that modules will be created so that NitrOS-9 will run on it. If so
>the distrubution would be 87GIME so you either fix it by your method, or
>why fight it and just get a fixed GIME.

>Thoughts????

Yes.  :)

The 1986 GIME chip is not really buggy if the software doesn't know how to
adapt to what it requires.

The fact that the new NitrOS-9 can't run on such a CoCo 3 is not a hardware
flaw, but something that should be fixed totally from software.  A test can
be performed during boot that would let the system know which GIME chip is
installed, and then correct whatever software flaw is causing this problem.

Has anyone tried consulting with Sockmaster?  He's a genious with the GIME
chips and the differences between the 1986 and 1987 versions.

--
Roger Taylor