[Coco] emulator virtual cassette writing

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Tue Oct 26 22:53:24 EDT 2004

Ok, I came across a wierd cable a month ago at a thrift store that has a
"CoCo cassette" male DIN on one end, and 3 male RCA plugs on the other
end.  The RCA plugs look sorta like a stereo a/v cable.  Lo and behold, I
discovered that the white plug is the Audio In channel into the CoCo!  I
have not tested whether the other two will work for the Audio Out or motor
control.

What I'm trying to do now is directly CSAVE(M) something from any of the
CoCo emulators and then CLOAD(M) that stream directly into a real CoCo in
real time.  I use Windows XP and DOS is not an option I wish to use.

M.E.S.S. is crashing (it closes down) if you have AUDIO ON and do a CSAVE
(or CLOAD, for that matter), and possibly MOTOR ON will do the same
crash.  I tried Jeff's emulator and it seems to be dumping a real fast
burst of audio that doesn't even come close to a cassette, so that isn't
working.

I tried CASOUT.EXE and used /W to create a .wav file of the many .cas files
I have (tons of them!) and this works if you use something like Windows
Media Player to play the .wav cassette file while the real CoCo is waiting
via CLOAD(M).  However, this is not exactly what I'm wanting to do.

I cannot get the Record option to become active from M.E.S.S. in the
cassette options menu.  I have created a dummy file called test.cas then
mounted it, and the record option still doesn't work.  Anyone know the
trick here?

--
Roger Taylor