[Coco] [Color Computer] serial port config problems?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Oct 14 13:24:04 EDT 2004

Greetings;

In my continuous quest to get my coco up and running again, can I get
someone to post the output of an 'xmode /t2' on a properly
configured /t2 (rs-232 pack) port set for hardware flow controls,
9600 baud 8n1?

This should be while using the sacia driver but not nessessarily the
latest nitros version because mine that I know works very well when
its configured correctly is from about nitros9 version 1.16 of it.
So much has happened since the RS/Microware manual was printed that
apparently has not been committed to a well published format that
we're loseing such info into the antiquity of time.

If someone knows of a link to an updated manual page for the latest,
expanded xmode, describing all the options and their effect in
relation to the rs-232 pack in particular, this would be a huge plus
and I could quit bugging the list for arcane knowledge.

I was able to type between this machine and the coco last night using
a rather convoluted path from a USB port on this end, but I believe
framing errors from the wrong flow control choices prevented me from
actually moving a file with zmodem. I had both hardware and xon/xoff
set on this end and neither appeared to be functioning on the coco
end.  A short, pure text file came out scrambled although normal
typing from the cli worked going both ways, indicating to me there
was a flow control problem.  A new terminal program for linux was
announced on freshmeat yesterday, called 'cutecom' which looks to be
a much improved minicom.  I've found a couple of warts, but nothing
that makes it unusable so far.  And it sure doesn't have the very
copious warts minicom has, like scribbling trash all over its screen.
Cutecom has a nice clean 2 window display, with everything needed on
gui buttons.  Nice.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)