[Coco] Game development - plus, what happened to CER-COMP?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat Oct 9 14:17:51 EDT 2004

All,

There has been discussion recently about games done in BASIC on the
CoCo, whether they would be "fun", etc. I am curious if people would be
interested in the following:

Back in the mid-90's I wrote a library for QBASIC, QuickBASIC, and
PowerBASIC called the "Blast! Library" - which was a collection of
mainly 8086 assembler routines for extremely fast graphics which could
be called (and/or compiled into) programs for the above mentioned
languages. There was multi-page Mode 13h commands, page flipping, hidden
background drawing (for flicker-free animation), line drawing, advanced
sprite commands (with auto masking), etc.

Would there be an interest in this community if I could port part of
this library over to work on the CoCo? I am not saying this is something
I am getting into right now - I can't say I will or won't do it, or
when. One thing, I know 80x86 assembler fairly well, but I am very rusty
on my 6809 assembler. Plus, I have other obligations at the moment, too.

However, I wanted to pop this out there and see if anyone would be
interested.

BTW - if anyone can respond: Does anyone know what happened to Bill
Vergona, CER-COMP and his software? I have purchased copies of CBASIC
III and Window Master: if you have never used either on a CoCo 3, you
don't know what you missed - CBASIC makes BASIC *scream*, and Window
Master is an interesting piece of GUI software (alas, they never came
together, AFAIK). Anyhow - I would like to share these with the
community, for emulation and to keep this "abandonware" alive - but I
don't know what the author is doing, whether he cares, if he is still
alive...? I have heard that he is selling software on Ebay (?)...

Andrew