[Coco] Re: Hello All!

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Tue Oct 5 13:01:20 EDT 2004

Hello! My name is Andrew L. Ayers, from Phoenix, Arizona, and I am a new
member to this list, and a long time CoCo user (my first CoCo my parents
bought me in 1984, when I was in the 5th grade). I currently own a lot
of CoCo stuff, so I won't spell it all out, but here is a small list:

* CoCo 3 (not sure what year GIME, but likely 1987 - how do you
test/check this?) - 512K upgrade (some third party from the day, Disto?
Can't remember - but not the RS one)
* CoCo 2 with 64K upgrade from RS (IIRC, it was either a 16K or 32K
machine when I got it)
* Multipac with some RS mod for CoCo 3 (?)
* FD-501 disk drive, FD-502 controller

The original drive in the disk drive no longer works (gives an error,
can anyone point me to suggestions/tips on how to possible fix such
drives?), and the original FD-501 controller doesn't work (any ideas on
this, too?).

Numerous bits of software, ROMS, etc.

Recently I worked with a couple of people on getting Diecom Software's
Gates of Delerium working on an emulator - we got it running on David
Keils emulator, as well as MESS 0.61b, but it won't work under Jeff's
emulators due to the strange disk format (copy protection) (unless
someone knows of a patch for the emu?).

We plan on releasing it soon through Curtis Boyle's website, once we get
things "finalized" on it. BTW - being new, I haven't searched the
archives yet on this - but I want to make all of you aware that we have
an email confirmation from Dave Dies allowing the community to emulate,
run, distribute Diecom software (any title).

I own Cer-Comp's CBASIC III compiler, and Window Master software - does
anyone know if Cer-Comp is "legal" abandonware (that is, has Bill
Vergona's blessing on distribution?) - if not, does anyone know how to
get in contact with Mr. Vergona and/or the principle holders of the
Cer-Comp company assets?

I seem to notice a bias toward NitrOS-9 - is this where the CoCo
community headed, away from RS-DOS and OS-9 Level 2? Should I invest in
a copy of this software? Are there hardware improvements I should look
into? BTW - where can you get a 6309 processor today? Does anyone still
offer 1 and 2 meg upgrades?

Lastly - I read on Sockmaster's site a hint about a possible, but "lost"
way to get a 256 color mode on the CoCo 3 - has this been explored any
further?

Alright - that is enough questions for now, and I appologize for so
many. It has just been a loooong while for me and my CoCos...

Andrew L. Ayers
Phoenix, Arizona