[Coco] Re: atari USB device

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Sat Nov 27 03:38:49 EST 2004

You know, there are just some things that aren't very practical or useful. Okay, so continnuing to use a CoCo kind of falls into those categories, but that's beside the point! A USB device for DECB is just going a little to far, unless it emulates a certain device -- like disk drives (since controllers are hard to find, this would be a perfect replacement... darn, forgot, no 5.25" USB or IDE drives!! -- well, a hard disk controller anyway). For OS-9 (or rather NitrOS9) it would have some reasonable uses, since OS-9 makes the compuer somewhat useable. So make the USB adapter and get it working for OS-9 and forget the much harder DECB stuff already! Now I was/am a fervent supporter of DECB -- for most tasks that can be simplified to that level (simpler is usually better anyway!). Reading just about any USB device that is plugged in is just beyond DECB, so get on with it! Even OS-9 will require specific drivers for each type of device, if not for each manufacturer/individual device.

Now if an entire new motherboard was to be built that was 6809 compatible, it might be able to support DECB or a derivative of it and USB devices. I'd replace the disk drive controller with a couple USB ports with such a motherboard and use a 3.5" drive exclusively. If it were compatible enough with DECB games and such would just have to be transferred to 3.5" disks using a PC. I think I'd just put code on the board that did an auto boot from a flash card or disk, then load DECB or OS-9 from disk. The CC3 does that anyway. Such a single board experimenter's computer would be very useful even if it only used CC2 type graphics and not CC3, but had the greater memory capacity (and BASIC support for it!) of the CC3. That would eliminate the GIME problems, I'm sure a SAM would be easier to implement.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent