[Coco] Re: atari USB device

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Nov 21 20:33:53 EST 2004

Mark

In handshake mode at high speed the data payload is either 8, 16,
32, or 64 bytes. In Low speed mode the max data payload is 8
bytes. Well capable for the Coco.

Isochronous mode, without hondshakes,  the data payload is limited
to 1023 bytes.

This is per the copy of the USB 1.1 Specs that I have.

I personally think that Isochronous mode should never need to be
used.

What Torsten was thinking of was that a sector size for a Coco disk
is 256 bytes. The SL811HS has the upper sixteen bytes of the
buffer reserved for registers. This would leave the largest packet
data size of 240 bytes. That ends up being 16 bytes shy of a disk
sector.

The only way to read a complete sector would be to break the
sector up into 4 64 byte packets. Each packet would take 42.7
microseconds to transfer and about 512 machine cycles to do a
load and store for the Coco. At  high speed that is about 286.2
micro seconds. Essential about 1.5 milliseconds to transfer data
from a disk into the Coco.

Not sure if we gain that much speed advantage. But maybe some.
The Disk drive itself is really the slow element of the whole process.

james