[Coco] atari USB device

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Thu Nov 18 14:32:27 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 06:50, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> Roger
>
> One concern of mine, speed. The USB protocol does mention that packets can be
> sent without  handshake. To be honest that is a dumb thing to do but is an option.
> Even at 1.5 Mbps and with handshaking, the COCO at ~2 Mhz will be hard press to
> keep up on large packets of data from mul tiple sources and maintian rather fast
> "effective" data transfers.

My understanding is that the "no handshake" are cases of high-bandwidth
utilization devices, like live video capture. I can imagine throwing a
PIC or AVR microcontroller into the mix to handle buffering up whole
packets so that the coco can offload them as it has time.

For now if we just do the simple case I think we'll learn enough in the
process to really get it right the second time. It will probably be
quicker to do it this way "experimentally" than to try to engineer the
final solution all at once.

I think we'll actually get some utility out of a variety of devices,
even with this setup.

-- John.