[Coco] Re: OT: Beam my up Scotty - The USAF's study in teleportation.

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Tue Nov 2 13:49:32 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 05:50, Robert Gault wrote:
> Jim Cox wrote:
>
> > I know there have been too many OT posts lately, but I thought some of
> > you out there might find this interesting. Hopefully they keep the flies
> > out of the lab!
> >
> > http://www.fas.org/sgp/eprint/teleport.pdf
> >

> This looks like a hoax or should be one if a real paper; note the many
> parapsychology references. However there is real work being done in this
> area in quantum physics. The reference in the "paper" to Scientific
> American is probably correct as there was an article in Sci.Am. which is
> a good read.

It doesn't look like a hoax to me, since they don't claim that it works.
They're saying something like "if you solved this problem which we don't
know how to do, and that problem which we don't know how to do, and had
mass the size of Jupiter to work with, you could construct a stable
wormhole."

The problem is in the givens/assumptions. So it is basically just a way
of saying if you want to have instantaneous travel between two points in
space, and you could solve the following few problems, this is how you
would manipulate space do it.

It seems the point of the paper is, to come up with a short list of
important areas for research given you want to pursue contruction of a
stable wormhole.

-- John.