[Coco] Re: emulator for Big Basic?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 1 16:44:52 EST 2004

Robert Gault wrote:
> PaulH96636 at aol.com wrote:
>
>> Would any of the emulators allow use of Danosoft's Big Basic
>> series of programs for coco-3s using 512k or more?
>>
>> I haven't seen any usage of Big Basic's capabilities in actual
>> programs for sale since it came out in 1988.  Same thing with
>> KeyColor Software's Key-264K for the coco 1&2.
>> Don't know if the authors could still be contacted. At least the
>> manuals should be archived, imo.     -ph
>>

> In attempting to answer this question, I've found that my copy of Big
> Basic v2.3 does not even work on my 512k Coco3 much less an emulator.
>
> I've decided to disassemble the Big Basic patch to see what is wrong. If
> and when I find anything useful, I'll post the findings.

The answer to the original question is YES. Big Basic will run on MESS
configured for 512k running RGBDOS from a virtual hard drive. Why did
the program not work on a real Coco3? Well the disk I have has a code
mistake or was corrupted.

After disassembling the code for BB.512 (which is the program patch for
512k) and changing the code to what I guessed it should be, the program
runs. At this time I don't have a correction for BB.128 nor do I know
whether versions other than v2.3 will work without correction.