[Coco] usb floppy drives?

alsplace at pobox.com alsplace at pobox.com
Thu May 27 12:00:24 EDT 2004

Question:  Can a 1.44MB USB floppy drive read/write a 720K disk?  I
assume it can, and if so, electronically a 3.5" drive looked just like
a 5 1/4" drive -- you could swap them back and forth with the right
cables.  So, that makes me think it would be possible.

If there is a "standard" for things like USB keyboards, mice, floppy
drives, etc., a USB interface for the CoCo sure would be nice too.  But
if they all require custom and different drivers...  Blah.  Threeor so
years ago Steve Bjork was looking into the possibility of a USB CoCo
interface, but I don't know how far he got with it.  I imagine chipsets
have evolved quite a bit since then.

    -- A