[Coco] RBF Format CDROM

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Wed May 26 16:27:00 EDT 2004

Ben,

RBF is OS-9's Random Block File format, so pretty much any disk
formatted under OS-9 is an RBF formatted disk.

Making an RBF CD entails a bit of work.  The major steps are:

(1) Creating an RBF 'disk image' on a host system, such as Linux or
Windows
(2) Using a tool like 'os9' which can copy/to from RBF disk images and
the host file system.
(3) Taking that image and burning it onto a CD.

Both #1 and #2 require cocotools (was os9tools) running on the
platform.  I've been meaning to get a release of these tools out into
the public but time hasn't permitted.

I've got it on good authority that Chris Hawks will very soon be
working on a port of his CDF file manager to NitrOS-9.  CDF currently
runs on OS-9/68K, and can read ISO9660 CDs.  With this on the CoCo, it
would be a moot point to make an RBF CD, since PC CDs would be readable
on a CoCo.

Boisy