[Coco] CoCo 3 to VGA

Bob theother_bob at yahoo.com
Sat May 22 16:04:13 EDT 2004

> There's also an outfit called AverLogic that makes a scan doubler chip
> (http://www.averlogic.com/video_converter/AL250.html). They're REALLY
> close-mouthed about how much they sell the chip for, though.

I have one of these chips in a device called InstanTV for viewing TV on a VGA
monitor. Only RF and composite inputs though :(
I have the datasheet, reference design and other useful pdf's on the AL250
(probably still available from their website), and think someday I may try to
experiment with it.

DESCRIPTION (from the flyer):
The AL250 Video Scan Doubler (De-Interlacer) is a video conversion chip for
consumer video and multimedia applications. It converts interlaced NTSC
or PAL, ITU-R BT 601 (CCIR601) or square pixel, YUV422 or RGB565 digital
signals into computer monitor RGB signals for direct connection to a computer
monitor or progressive scan TV.

So we'd still need A/D, but I agree with an earlier post that this might be
do-able with discreet components since there are only four levels per signal.

Bob