[Coco] NitrOS-9 V03.02.01 Release

Frederick D Provoncha elderpav at juno.com
Thu May 20 21:10:57 EDT 2004

> The version of DSKINI.EXE probably is OK. There have been issues in
> the
> past using 5 1/4" drives that require BIOS adjustments. Since I use
> 3.5" drive on both PC and Coco, I've not paid too much attention to
> BIOS
> settings. Do a Google newsgroup search for this.
>
> My suggestion would be to get a 3.5" drive and install it on the
> Coco.
>
> By the way, what do you see on your 5.25' drive when you boot into
> OS-9
> with a different system disk attempt to read the problem disk?

I forgot to mention that I already have a 3 1/2" drive installed on the
Coco. So why am I using 5 1/4" disks? Because I haven't had any success
using DSKINI to transfer the images to a 3 1/2" disk, either. Even if I
do succeed in executing the command without getting a write error, the
resulting disk is unreadable on the Coco. I get "Error 249 - Wrong Type"

When I boot OS-9 using another boot disk and then analyze the problem
disk, I can DIR the root directory and the DEFS directory, but I get a
seek error when I try DIR-ing the SYS directory. When I tried DIR-ing the
CMDS directory, it gave me a 'no permission' error, and when I checked
the attributes, CMDS is listed as a file, not a directory! Obviously the
disk is garbled, due to a faulty DSKINI operation I imagine.

Fred Provoncha