[Coco] [Color Computer] COCO Copy Software

Steve Ostrom smostrom at mn.rr.com
Mon May 17 22:01:51 EDT 2004

SPIT'N IMAGE will work on many (not all) older protected Coco disks, but
I don't think anyone currently has the rights to sell it.  The COPYIIPC
program and Option board for older IBM-type computers can copy many
protected disks - both Coco and PC disks.  I also have heard that the
Catweasel PC floppy controller board can copy most everything.  I bought
one on eBay a few months ago, but have not tried to install it yet on a
PC. It may not have Coco support drivers yet, but it is possible that
some existing driver will also work on the Coco.

Of course, all of these just make another protected copy, but you'll at
least be safer with a newly created copy.  One thing that I find very
interesting is to crack the copy protection by disassembling the
loader.  Some protection is very deep and almost impossible to crack,
but it's a lot of fun to try.

One other way I've heard about is to have a toggle switch installed
(maybe Cloud 9 could do this), so that once the program has been loaded
from a protected disk or tape, the user can wrest control back and then
maybe dump the program to disk in an unprotected mode.

Marty Goodman, one of the first notable early Coco users to strongly
object to copy protection, was (or still is) very adept at removing copy
protection.  He issued a few cracking programs, but I don't know if he
ever compiled these into one big set of source disks.  (Marty, are you
listening in?)

-- Steve --