[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Fixing an old coco tape?

James the Animal Tamer emucompboy at yahoo.com
Thu May 13 17:08:09 EDT 2004

Nothing's perfect.  I've been lucky in that most o' my tapes have
been in pretty good shape.

1.  Inspect the tape.  Make sure its "fuzzy thing" which goes behind
the tape, where the tape hits the playback head, is intact.  In some
brands, humidity will cause the glue to rot which causes the fuzzy
thing to fall off.  In other brands, silverfish like to eat the fuzzy
thing.  If your "fuzzy thing" is not intact, you'll need to re-shell
the tape -- carefully.

2.  Most tapes contain more than one copy of the software.  When
making your WAVs, be sure to record the whole cassette, both sides.
You might get a good copy out of it.

3.  The azimuth alignment (whatever that is) of your cassette player
might not match the tape.  When doing your recording to WAVs, use
more than one cassette player.

4.  Even though you know the tape is mono, sometimes you can get a
less noisy copy by recording stereo.  Sometimes one "track" will be
less noisy than the other.  Separate the tracks to mono.  You can do
this using your sound editor program.

Using your sound editor program, cut your WAVs up into pieces each of
which contains the software.

So eventually, you end up with a huge number of WAV versions of the
software.  Then you just have to figure out which one(s) are good.
The CoCo uses block checksumming in its tape file format, so you'll
know which are bad fairly quickly.

Okay, so what can you do?

a) Eyeball the waves in your sound editor.  Bad noise stands out.

b) Try loading each WAV into an emulator.

c) Connect your PC's sound card output to your CoCo's cassette input
(I've done this with several vintage PCs, but not the CoCo).  See
which WAVs can be CLOADed this way.  If you get something good that
can be CLOADed, connect your CoCo's cassette output to your PC sound
card's input, and CSAVE from your CoCo while digitizing on your PC
(I've done this with Aquarius and VZ200).

--

My own next step would be to "square" the waves, and then "read" them
with Square-to-image-file converter program.

Good luck.  I've probably spent as much time as anyone trying to
recover old cassettes as WAV (see my emulators!  LOL!).

There are some WAV to cassette image format programs for the CoCo,
but right at the moment, I don't remember where.  One of them was
pretty good as I recall.  Might 'a' been one of Vavasour's, or
might 'a' been one written for the Dragon.  I don't remember, and
alas I don't have it on this computer right now.

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "James Diffendaffer"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM