[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Hard Drive sizes

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu May 13 11:05:31 EDT 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 10:31, Allen Huffman wrote:
>Q: how large of a HD can OS-9 L2 address w/o clustering?

A hair over 134 megabytes.  The limit is actually in the fat table,
which cannot exceed 65535 bytes in length.  Each byte represents 8
sectors(clusters) on the disk, so 65535*8*256 where 256 is the
sector(cluster) size=134,215,680.

By having each bit of a byte represent more than 1 sector, such limits
can be expanded.  It must be expanded in steps of a power of 2
however, as in 1,2,4,8,16,32,64 etc.

>I can't remember! Too long. I want to buy the IDE/compact flash
>interface this weekend at CoCoFest, and need to pick up some CF
> parts beforehand. Ideally large enough for 256 RGB-Dos drives and
> OS-9.
>
>Thanks!
>--
>This reply was sent via my PalmOS cell phone. Please excuse the
> typose.
>

>Brought to you by the 6809, the 6803 and their cousins!

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are:

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM