[Coco] 80 track disk access under RSDOS

John Kowalski sock at axess.com
Wed May 5 11:18:26 EDT 2004

At 03:38 AM 05/05/2004 -0400, Art Flexser wrote:
>On Tue, 4 May 2004, (John Kowalski) wrote:
>
>> >From what I recall, RSDOS assigns granules in a particular order on blank
>> disks - starting from track 18, going up to the max, then starting again at
>> track 0 and going up to track 16.  (Track 17 is the directory track).
>>

>My recollection, possibly faulty, is that RSDOS starts at a track in the
>middle of the range, as you say, and then assigns granules working outward
>in BOTH directions.
>
>Art

I was only going from memory as well, so either one of us might remember the
details better.

The reason I recall the way I described is because it seems that it would
cause less unnecessary track skipping when loading files longer than 1 granule.
If a file were to be split up across multiple tracks, at least the tracks
would still be adjecent/in sequential order.

Actually, maybe the second half I described (where it fills tracks 0-16
last) might go in 16-0 order instead - where it starts near the directory
track, then works it's way to track zero.   We'd be both mostly right that
way :)

                                         John Kowalski (Sock Master)
                                         http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/