[Coco] Superboard discussion: Serial EEPROM

Bob theother_bob at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 12:31:41 EDT 2004

--- "Boisy G. Pitre" <boisy at boisypitre.com> wrote:

> On May 1, 2004, at 12:51 AM, Bob wrote:
>
> > Okay, I haven't added much to it, but just wanted to put this initial
> > map out
> > there to get some feedback.
> >
> > [8 bytes - VROM 1 label]
> > [8 bytes - VROM 2 label]
> > [8 bytes - VROM 3 label]
> > [8 bytes - VROM 4 label]
> > [8 bytes - VROM 5 label]
> > [8 bytes - VROM 6 label]
> > [8 bytes - VROM 7 label]
> > [8 bytes - VROM 8 label]
> > [1 byte  - VROM default select]
> > [1 byte  - startup preferences  stjjccmm]
> >    bit 7    s  = speed        0=low 1=hi
> >    bit 6    t  = hires type   0=Tandy 1=CoCoMax3*
> >    bits 4-5 jj = joystk pref  0=ask 1=L 2=R 3=hires*
> >    bits 2-3 dd = column pref  0=32 1=40 2=80
> >    bits 0-1 mm = monitor      0=ask 1=cmp 2=rgb (3=mono?)
>
> Bob,
>
> Looks good so far, however, can you explain how the 'ask' feature of
> the joystick and monitor preferences will work?  Is this really needed?

Not so much a feature as a default if no preference is set by the user. Actual
values depend on whether the EEPROM is filled with 0's or 1's initially (out of
the box).

Current software always asks "Are you using an RGB monitor?" or similar.
Software that knows about the EEPROM can read the value and if it hasn't been
defined by the user (all 0's or all 1's) then the program should still ask,
unless you just want to assume one or the other. Reasonable?

One for you... if we wanted to store an alarm time (based on the Superboard
with RTC), how many bytes would be required? Assume a date-specific alarm, so
we can set one-time events or repeating alarms (say every day, week, month or
?)

Bob