[Coco] Early Computer Magazine Fun Stuff

Steve Ostrom smostrom at mn.rr.com
Wed May 12 21:51:37 EDT 2004

As some of you know, I love re-reading old TRS-80 computer magazines.
(I still owe scanned Metamorphasis issues for one of you, and it's still
coming.)  I found the following on page 16 in the "80 Inputs" section of
the April 1981 issue of "80 Micro", and just had to share.

-- Steve --

This short utility grew out of a competi-
tion between my son and myself, with Jef-
frey finally getting the last word when he
got it down to 28 characters (including the
line number).  At that point I thought it just
interesting enough that you might want to
pass it on to your readers to elaborate on.

Robert F. Vavasour
St. Johns, Newfoundland A1A 385

The World's Shortest Wordprocessor:
Written by Jeffery Vavasour, 11 years old

1 PRINTCHR$(14);INKEY$;:GOTO1

The program could be further shortened to remove the
cursor, by only typing "PRINT INKEY$:GOTO1".  Clearing
the screen, either in whole or in part, is performed by first
positioning the cursor by using SHIFT and one of the ar-
rows, then pressing the CLEAR key which will erase the
screen from the cursor position to the bottom of the
screen.

Printer output is obtained by using the JKL feature of
NEWDOS.