[Coco] ASCII art in mail/news clients

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Mon Mar 22 11:13:34 EST 2004

On Mar 21, 2004, at 8:40 PM, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

> Are there any more is an additional question? * _ / the only ones?

No, many email clients also support # for highlight.

> I would like a cut and paste of any documentation found. I have not
> found
> any so far, and I have a huge DVD of documentation.
>
> How do you search? "+asterisk  +underline +forward slash" ???

With grep you could use:
grep -F \* <files>
or
grep \\\* <files>
for asterisk.
grep _ <files>
for underbar
and
grep / <files>
for /
and for any of the three
grep [\*_/] <files>

> The capability must have been available in the browsers for some time
> but
> not used.

It has been around for more than 15 years that I know of.  Before AOL
connected to the internet a large portion of internet users knew about
and used this technique.

--
Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?