[Coco] Re: Where's everybody goin'?

James Ross jr at webross.com
Fri Mar 19 23:10:15 EST 2004

David wrote:

>I don't think [Linux is] suited for the
>secretary in an office.

Actually, I can see where Linux might make sense in some offices.  A
Linux box that is locked down completely except for a main menu that
allows the worker to run a few programs and that is it, nothing else
-- low maintenance, low cost.  This would apply especially for
repetitious data entry type work.

>Neither is it for the person who is totally
>involved with gaming, although I've seen some pretty popular games
>beginning to be ported to Linux.

I agree. I tried a few games on Linux. Loki games (I think, something
like that). And I have to say, that in more cases than not they did
not run correctly if at all.

>It's probably not for the person who
>only wants to get a computer, set it on the desk, and go, ready-to-run.

Absolutely agreed.  I believe I spent more time setting things up
those 6 weeks I tried using only Linux than actually using it.

>But it suits my needs perfectly.  I "grew up" on OS9/OSK .  My primary
>desire is to play with the system and see how it works.

I did use OS-9 on the CoCo but I cannot say I become an expert at it.
I wished I had.  Part of the reason for that was by the time I could
afford OS9 / a CoCo3 / and a Floozy Drive, I could also afford a PC
Turbo XT, with a 20meg Seagate and I became a communist!

>Windows is just
>to drab and plain ....

YES IT IS!  But, then again... Eye candy can only get you so far!

JR