[Coco] Re: Re: Where's everybody goin'?

David dbree at duo-county.com
Thu Mar 18 07:26:13 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:24:02AM -0500, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 3/17/04 9:41:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> alxevans at concentric.net writes:
>
> > Well, most GUI base e-mail clients lack a handful of basic (and
> >  important features) that were commonplace in CLI clients.  In addition
> >  to threading support, separate styles for forwarding and replying to
> >  messages and rot-13 support come immediately to mind.
>
> What I REALLY miss from the good old days of Unix readmail or whatever it was
> called, is the ability to read a message, type 'd' for delete or "s filename"
> to save it by *appending* to a plain text file in your normal file system
> directories.

Mutt does both.  IMO, it does a very great job of mail management.

> I'd expect threading to be easier to work with in a GUI environment.  Could
> get messy in a CLI, which is not the best for traversing hierarchical trees of
> files (though we did it in UNIX for decades, just didn't enjoy it much :-).

The threading is handled in a very clear fashion.  The Subject is
usually truncated due to screen constraints, but it's clear what's going
on.

Mutt is available for Windows, although the compiled version may run
only under cygwin.  They didn't mention MinGW.  You probably could
compile from source (if need be) and have it operational then.