[Coco] Erratic MPI Behavior

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Tue Mar 16 21:19:25 EST 2004

Robert,

I saw three power transistors on the MPI, took my soldering iron and
let the solder reflow on the underside of the board precisely where
these transistors were.

I also noticed that the card edge connectors were loosing their
"silver" to a reddish color.  I retinned all 40 of the card edge
connector pins, then slapped everything together.

The behavior is now slightly different.  Before, 90% of the time it
would act as though it wouldn't come up.  Now, it's about 50% of the
time.  40% of the time now, I get the ECB screen and the OK prompt
cursor flashes once or twice, then stops solid, as though the CoCo
locks up.  It will then either go into the ROM pak or crash the CoCo.
The other 10% of the time it actually works.

Multi-Paks can be weird beasts.  I sure would like to find the culprit
here.  BTW, I checked the voltage on the transistors, and am getting
readings on my multimeter that makes me seem to think that they are
working.

There was minimal oxidation on the underside of the board.  One place
in particular was one of those four large electrolytic capacitors by
the transformer.

Could this possibly be an issue of these capacitors drying out and
loosing their ability to hold charge as quickly?  It sure seems as
though the MPI is kicking in a little on the late side (after the CoCo
has powered up for a second or so).

Boisy