[Coco] [Color Computer] Orchestra 90-cc information

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Mar 16 05:10:10 EST 2004

>From: "magickian99" <magickian99 at yahoo.com>
>
>Does anyone know of a site to get info on the orchestra 90-cc music
>synthesizer?
>I have one now and would like to know how to use it.

The software is in ROM.  Just hit "s" and then "p" to Score and Play
and it will play the William Tell song, which is also stored in ROM.
It has few enough commands that you only need the first character.

Other commands:
Append <filename>  merge filename with file in memory
Bottom go to end of file
Cassette use cassette I/O
Dir :<number>  use disk I/O, display directory of disk :<number>
Edit
	<break> enter command mode
	<clear> erase from cursor pos. to end of line
	<shift><break> cancel changes to line
	<shift><clear> delete line
	<enter> accept current line
	<left arrow> move cursor left one char.
	<right arrow> move cursor right one char.
	<shift><left arrow> delete curent char
	<shift><right arrow> insert space at cursor
	<up arrow> move cursor up one line
	<down arrow> move cursor down one line
	<shift><up arrow> joins current line with line above it
	<shift><down arrow> insert new line or break line
	<?> copy current line to end of file
	<!> move current line up one
Get <Filename 1> <file 2>...  or * load, score, and play each file.  * is
    all files
Kill <filename> delete file <filename>.  disk only.
List print music file to printer.  default is 600 baud.
     List 1 = 1200
Multi <file 1> <file2> ... like get, but with a disk, start over when
      done
New erase music file in memory
Optimize delete spaces, unneeded code in music file
Play plays sound file.
Read <file> read file into memory
Score compile into a binary format to play
Top go to first line of file
Verify for tape, re-read.
Write <file> writes file to tape or disk.
Xfer download music from compuserve
/<string> search for string in file
-<string> go up a line, to string
@ breakpoint.  If you interrupt a Play, then type @ it will put the
  cursor roughly where the song was stopped.
? display "voicing" information at cursor location
! play file from cursor location forwards.

If you want to use this with a disk drive you have to have an mpi or
equivalent.

There's at least two disks worth of sound files around for this thing,
as well as a stand-alone version of the software that uses the CoCo's
6-bit sound hardware.  I just recently got a disk's worth of sound
files off of rsti (RSDOS/MUSIC/ORC90-?.ARC I think).  Ira Goldklang's
page is a good place to look for other sound files.

BTW the orc-90 software doesn't do filename extensions.  If you name
the files .orc or .mus or whatever it won't recognize them.

If you actually want to type in music into the thing, I can probably
be convinced to photocopy the relevant pages.  I don't understand
music and don't really desire to.

>Thanks.
>
>Rev. Ernest Crowe

Willard